Friday, June 20, 2014

All In

When they reached the place God had told him about, Abraham built an altar...Abraham called that place The LORD Will Provide. And to this day it is said, ‘On the mountain of the LORD it will be provided’” Genesis 22:14.

One of the most powerful displays of faith was when Abraham had to surrender Isaac on the altar.  God has promised Abraham that he would be the father of nations through his son.  So how confusing and heartbreaking it must have been when he realized that God was commanding he sacrifice Isaac as the lamb.  As Abraham approached the altar his actions showed what his faith believed… ‘God will provide …I completely trust God…I will be obedient God…His will, not mine.’  What followed was one of the most well-known verses in the Bible, ‘Do not lay a hand on the boy, he said. Do not do anything to him. Now I know that you fear God, because you have not withheld from me your son, your only son’ Genesis 22:12.

Last Sunday our minister preached on partially living for Christ verses living a totally surrendered life. At the end of the sermon he invited people to follow the Holy Spirit’s leading, and offered the opportunity to come down to the platform (which in our church is the altar).  He had laid a long blank piece of paper which ran the length of the platform, and if we so desired we were to write a commitment on the paper.  At the urging of the Holy Spirit Bruce approached the altar, picked up the marker and wrote three words…I’M ALL IN.  What makes this phrase so powerful is the fact that God has taken Bruce on an unknown career path, moving him away from everything he has known.  These three words remind me of Abraham when asked to surrender and trust God.  As Abraham walked up to his altar, Bruce walked up to our church’s platform.  Both men basically lifted the same message to the same Father… I’m uncomfortable but I’m committed…I’m saddened but I’m confident…I’m fearful but You are faithful…I’M ALL IN LORD…I’M ALL IN.

When we build altars before God and surrender our desires in the scariest of times, we hear the echoes of our faith rising to the throne room.  Whatever you are experiencing today, take it confidently and boldly before God and give it all to Him.  Don’t withhold anything but open your hands and allow Him to work.  There is nothing more pleasing to God than our offerings of complete trust and surrender.

On that day you must present a burnt offering as a pleasing aroma to the LORD’ Numbers 29:2.

No comments: