Thursday, June 5, 2014

Following Our Cloud

By day the LORD went ahead of them in a pillar of cloud to guide them on their way and by night in a pillar of fire to give them light, so that they could travel by day or night” Ex 13:21.

When the Israelites were brought out of slavery, God manifested Himself in a cloud by day and fire by night. It didn’t matter whether it was light or dark the Lord could be seen. One of the things that I most love about the Word is the relativity in its message across the landscape of time. The Bible gives us snapshots of the lives of those who previously journeyed this earth. It is drenched with lessons on how we can experience the same God that others experienced.

We also have a cloud that guides us when looking to pursue a lift of righteousness. Hebrews 12:1 beautifully illustrates that ‘we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses’ who exemplified a life of fixing their eyes on Jesus. Personally, my cloud was very visible whether times were filled with light and joy or times were filled with darkness and despair. My cloud included my grandparents who walked their faith out in such passion and purpose. I witnessed my dad choosing sacrifice over comfort and service over convenience. I still see my mother who is my cloud on earth who has chosen acceptance over bitterness and joy over despair. I still have a long journey to walk out but my hope is that my legacy will be enveloped in a cloud for those whom have witnessed my faith. I certainly do not have a completed or perfect faith, but I do have a passion to follow the cloud. I do want to continue to consider those witnesses who have traveled before me and exhorted me to float above my circumstances. I know that keeping my eyes on Jesus means Jesus keeping His eye on me.

As we consider the people with whom we surround ourselves we must make sure that the cloud we are following is the cloud that leads to heaven. We should be able to see the same pillar both night and day …in stormy times and calm times…in joy and in despair... 'the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows' James 1:17.
 

No comments: