Thursday, June 12, 2014

He Surely Does It

"He who calls you is faithful; he will surely do it” 1 Thess. 5:24, ESV.

Growing up I used to look at the elderly with pity. I remember thinking how their aging bodies had limited them and how time had escaped them. Little did I know that my pity was misplaced due to ignorance. What I had not factored in was their ability to triumph over life and all it had presented them. Recalling some of those precious people in my past I am humbled to know that those represented 1 Thess. 5:24…those who believed that God was faithful and that He would sure do it.

What did He do and what did His faithfulness look like? He was faithful in providing financial resources when the depression hit. He was faithful when a couple had to stand hand in hand and say goodbye to their child. He healed the broken heart of a spouse as they had to walk out the remaining years alone. His faithfulness was apparent when physical suffering had overtaken them. I only have to look behind my mother’s eyes to see that He who called her to walk her journey was faithful in equipping her to endure. Behind my mother’s eyes is a Christian who not only sees the big spiritual picture but accepts that plan. Behind my mother’s smile is a heart that has shattered in a million pieces but gave God access to rebuild her life in a different way...embracing His purposes for her life...trusting that He would surely do it.

I want to be that aging woman who exemplifies a 1 Thess. 5:24 life. I have a head start as I consider how God was faithful in carrying me through the addiction of my daughter. God was there when I sat and held my sister’s hand bidding her safe travels to heaven. God was beside us as we watched Daddy take his last breath and open his eyes to Christ. God is surely doing it while Bruce and I are awaiting His plan for us to unfold. God’s calling on your life and my life will provide the paths of His faithfulness. As the lines around my eyes increase and fears of the future decrease I am happy to be one of those women with a peppermint in my pocket and a story of God’s faithfulness in my heart. He has surely done it…He is surely doing it…and He will surely do it in the future.

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever’ Hebrews 13:8.

No comments: