Friday, December 5, 2014

The Hired Hands

The hired hand is not the shepherd…he abandons the sheep and runs away…and cares nothing for the sheep.  I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me…” John 10:12-14.  He will come in and go out, and find pasture…I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full…” John 10:9-10.

Jesus spoke eloquently in the metaphor of the sheep pen.  His words painted beautiful imagery of the hillside where the sheep roamed and were protected.  His masterful strokes on this canvas depict the level of intimacy between the shepherd and His sheep.  He warns us of the hired hand abandoning the sheep when danger approaches. He states that one gives life to the fullest while the other will turn his back. 

As I consider this metaphor today, I cannot help but to compare the hired hand with the world.  How many times have I bought into the world’s comfort and security only to have it abandon me and turn its back on me? It wasn’t until I realized that only by following Jesus will I be led to my God-given purpose and God-given plan.  He leads me in and leads me out of decisions that are critical to my success in Him.  He helps me find my pasture…that place of satisfaction in Him where peace prevails and His purposes are fulfilled.  He doesn’t desire to just give me life for that was done in July of 1961.  He desires to give me abundant life and experience it to the fullest extent through Him. 

So I ask you this morning, what have you bought into as a means of satisfaction and security?  What price are you paying building a life based on your own agenda?  Do you feel abandoned by the very things you have bought into?  Jesus has come to reveal that we must abandon the things that will eventually abandon us.  We must turn our back on the ‘hired hands’…those things of the world that will fail us every time.  By following Jesus we have continual access to the Holy Spirit who is our guide and will move us in and out of situations.  We will learn not to seek the approval of the world, but trust God for His movement. 

He goes before us…He stands beside us…He never leaves us.

No comments: