Friday, January 15, 2016

Frantically Fluttering

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33.

I read this morning of a naturalist who noticed a large butterfly caught on something, and was fluttering frantically as if in distress.  He reached down, took hold of its wings, and set it free.  As he continued to watch he saw the butterfly go a few feet and fall to its death.  Upon further inspection he realized that he had interrupted an important process involving the chrysalis.  The process is a strength building process designed by God to mature the butterfly preparing him for flight.  Without the process the butterfly would never be strong enough to face what was required to fly.  The onlooker meant no harm and thought he was helping the butterfly instead of harming the butterfly.

As a daughter, I’m so grateful that my parents allowed me to struggle in some of my decisions as an adult. As tough as it was for them to watch, I would not have learned anything without those struggles.  I know as a mom of adult children it is tough watching them go through trials.  More times than not I have reached out in an attempt to help or fix a problem, only creating a delay for the growth God intended.  We cannot be parents of adult children and continue to do their bidding for them.  Our attempt to solve their problems not only circumvents God but takes away the opportunity for their growth.  We were all meant to face struggles and frantically flutter at some points of life.  Just like the butterfly, it is a process that builds our faith and produces perseverance.  Trials are the process God uses to create beauty, strength and growth in each of our lives.

God is calling all of us to higher living, living beyond what our parents taught us, and providing the wisdom that we lack.  He wants transformation for all of His children which means struggles will ensue and trials will find us.  Rescuing adult children many times comes shrouded in pride or fear.  Pride says I know what’s best and fear says I doubt their abilities.  I can’t even explain the freedom that I gained once I truly believed that God is really the parent of my children.  He entrusted me with three beautiful kids for a season, but He is their perfect Parent.  When I step back and give God room to be God I can trust that any struggle is for their growth and the maturing of their faith. 

Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.”  James 1:2-4


No comments: