Monday, January 25, 2016

Precious Prayers

“…but because Jesus lives forever, he has a permanent priesthood. Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them.”Hebrews 7:25. “For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing.” 2 Co. 2:15.

The last week of my dad’s life I was spending the night to help my mother. My dad was up every two hours which lent itself to the night bleeding into the day. I had the baby monitor by my side in case they needed me again. As I was dozing off I heard some whispers in the monitor. I picked up the monitor to better understand the noises for which I was hearing. My dad, who barely had consciousness, was praying to God on my behalf. I was exhausted and totally depleted with my focus not on prayer but rather on the responsibilities I had that day. I barely recognized the person for whom he was praying as he pled on my behalf. He described a person who was so worthy of God's blessings. For a moment, I wasn't sure he was still referring to me but then I remembered how much he loves me. He flavored his prayers with his bias love and unconditional devotion to me. When I heard the manner in which my dad was praying, and the way he formed his thoughts regarding my needs I knew the true meaning of intercessory prayer. It is a prayer for the needs of others above our own needs. It is an offering of self on the Lord’s altar for the benefit of others. In my case, it was a prayer from the one who knew and loved me most and spoke on my behalf. This is an earthly example of what Christ does for us in the heavenlies.

We lift our prayers to Christ and He enhances them by scenting our prayers with His words, His flavors and His all consuming love. He approaches His Father knowing the exact manner in which we need to be lifted up. He takes our worst and transforms it into His best. He takes our tarnished attitudes and brings out His beautiful character in us. He brings the stench of our flesh and replaces it with His righteousness so that we may look more like Him. Through the aroma of Christ, God recognizes us as His children, bearing the resemblance of His first-born. ‘The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children. Now if we are children, then we are heirs – heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ…’ Romans 8:16.

With Christ taking our prayers and sweetening the pot, we are represented before God in the most pure and perfect way.

No comments: