Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Studying our Notes

But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you” John 14:26.
When I was young and in school I would always get nervous when the teacher would pass out tests. Even if I had studied and knew the material I would still be fearful that I would fail. More times than not once I began the test I would be able to recall answers and solutions from spending time in my notes. On occasions when I had missed class due to sickness or appointments there was really nothing from which to recall. How could I expect remembrance from notes I had never studied?
I recall a night recently when I woke up unable to fall back asleep. As my mind began to wander I found myself resurrecting fears that my faith had calmed. Things seem so much fearful and unresolvable in the dark of the night. With the Counselor’s help, I began to recall certain Scripture on fear, peace and promise. I laid there reciting those verses in my own words. I wasn’t caught up in where it was in the Bible nor its exact words. It is the principle of the passage that is recalled which beckons the blessing of its promise. ‘Be strong and very courageous...I will never leave you nor forsake you...The Lord is in the whisper...My peace I give you, not the world’s...Nothing can separate me from God’s love.’ The recalling of the Holy Spirit to those places in my heart was based on one important principle. The depth of our blessing and comfort from God is determined upon the knowledge of the words of God. We cannot expect to remember things we have never read and put into practice. John 3:16 tells me that God loves me so much that He sent His Son to die for me so I might live in eternity with Him. That washes over me with such comfort and joy but it doesn’t remove my fear of facing a big giant today. It doesn’t remind me that Satan is against me but God is greater than Satan. It fails to say to a broken heart that He is near and His grace will be enough. If all I ever said to my children was ‘I love you so much’ no matter what their concern it wouldn’t really guide them. God’s word is a lamp for the steps we take and a light for path up ahead. He desires for us to be ready for every exam life lays out before us. He wants us to build the arsenal of our hearts with the words that will ready our feet.
We miss out on so many treasures by not spending time in our spiritual notes. I want to be ready when the test comes...I want to recall the things that are the answers for the moment...I want to be able to share those words for others when their tests arise. I am so grateful for His words that never go out of style, out of date or out of print!
All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness” 2 Tim 3:16.

No comments: