Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Craving Bread

But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness and all of these things will be given to you.” Matthew 6:33.

This verse is the remedy to a preceding passage that begs us to lay down our worries. I have always found comfort in this verse but I certainly have done my share of worrying about what I will eat…and drink…and wear…and every other thing under the sun. But is wasn’t until this morning that I more clearly understood the original translation of ‘seek’ in this verse. The original intention of seeking God’s kingdom and His righteousness is to crave. When I look back over the course of my adult life I am embarrassed about the things of this world that I craved over Jesus. Some of the most intensely craved things were people…my children…my grandchildren…man’s approval and acceptance. Honestly, I am sure that Satan places disguised cravings all around me…this relationship…that pursuit…another distraction from being right in the middle of God’s presence. Craving anything always leads to a provision of something. Who will we allow to fill our hunger? God? The world? Our personal relationship?

Lisa TerKeurst writes a powerful statement in her Bible Study, Finding I Am: ‘What we consume will consume us.’ That statement knocked me back as I have just come out of a season where I was completely consumed with my set of circumstances. Don’t get me wrong…I was constantly in prayer over this situation throughout each and every day. But somewhere along the way I became consumed with the circumstances instead of being consumed with God. I craved and sought after a resolution that was not mine to demand…His will, not mine. To identify our cravings, we must be honest with ourselves and recognize our appetite. Our appetite is formed by our desires, and with what we feed our leanness will determine where our devotion lies. Do we crave power and status? Do we desperately seek ways bringing our kingdom to come instead of God’s kingdom? What is God’s kingdom? It is waiting patiently on Him to bring resolution in His way and His timing. It is sitting in the lack and giving Him an opportunity to fill our cravings. If we stay on the run, craving this trip, that purchase, those pursuits of nothing we will miss out on the fullness that can be ours in Him.

When we become consumed with Christ all of our striving and toiling will fall to the side. God desires to be our craving…our consumption…our desire. Anything short of that becomes an idol producing a toxic hunger.

“‘Then Jesus declared, ‘I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry…’” John 6:35.

No comments: