Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Oh, What a Voice!

"In the beginning God created…darkness covered the surface of the watery depths, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the surface of the waters.” Gen 1:1-2.

Have you ever wondered what your children were thinking as they looked in your eyes for the first time? I was thinking about it this morning as I remembered the first time I looked in their eyes. In the beginning days of their birth…their created lives…I can’t imagine the trauma of leaving their dark and safe home, entering into a world of bright light, noise and hurried activity. But we are told that God has been with us since our beginning of time. I imagine that as I lay there struggling to delivery my little ones, He was hovering over orchestrating the beautiful timing and introductions. He was calming my babies before I even knew how. He was protecting them before I even had to think about danger. He was there and He is here. Just as He hovered then, he also hovered above my loved ones as they were getting ready to enter into His eternal rest. He hovered and ushered them into their new home. As they closed their eyes to us, they opened their eyes to Him. His voice of eternity drowned out the noise of this world. Oh, how great is our God and creator!

Psalm 29 tells of the beautiful voice of God and all that it accomplishes just in breath alone. ‘The voice of the Lord is above…in power…in splendor…it breaks…it shatters…it flashes flames of fire…it shakes the wilderness…it gives birth.’ I am so grateful that it only takes His voice to be powerful enough to move sickness to healing. I’m so grateful that I can see His splendor in the most beautiful sunrises and sunsets. I’m humbled that He broke dreams that were motivated by ego and flesh. I’m walking in freedom in areas where He shattered past behaviors and attitudes that imprisoned me. I’m confident that He flashes flames of fire to guide me in this life’s journey, burning away the paths in which I should not walk. He has shaken my foundation through suffering seasons, and has given birth to a new way of living. His voice has done so much in my life, and so much in your life I'm sure. Why do we ever worry at all about any of our circumstances when we have a God who sits enthroned above and hovers over us in power, love and protection? He guides us with His voice, the Spirit within us, and never leaves or abandons us. Whether we are in the watery depths of despair, or on top of the mountain we can always walk in confidence because He is always with us. Our floods will not overtake us because He is over the flood.

The LORD sits enthroned over the flood; the LORD sits enthroned, King forever. The LORD gives his people strength; the LORD blesses his people with peace.” Psalm 29:10-11.

No comments: