Tuesday, October 17, 2017

The Flow of the Dance

I am the Lord your God, who teaches you what is best for you, who directs you in the way you should go.” Isaiah 48:17.

One of the most burned images in my mind is the image of Michael Jackson dancing his way from one illuminated square to the next in the Billy Jean video.  (I had to go watch it just now for old time sake!)   The image of him moving through the city lighting every square with each step made for a great video.  I read that he was told ahead of time that only certain squares would light up, so the dance moves had to fit within the confines of the tiles that would illuminate.  Being the talented dancer that he was, he created moves that looked as if Michael himself was causing them to glow at his touch by an act of will, when in fact not all tiles were designed to light up.  He was directed in the flow of the dance by the desire of the outcome.  While it was permissible for him to dance on any tile he wanted, it would not create the benefit of his goal for the video.

I was comparing this to a principle that God included in His word.  1 Co 10:23 tells us that ‘Everything is permissible (lawful), but not everything is beneficial.’  If that is the case then how do we navigate through life only choosing the things that benefit us?  We must allow God to light up those areas in our lives that have been wired for our benefit.  This was made very clear to me over 14 years ago in my weakness to secretly overspend.  It was perfectly acceptable to go shopping, but for me it became a stronghold instead of an activity.  For me to go shopping during a time when I was lonely, sad or confused was definitely not beneficial to my growth.  Even now God places certain tiles around my weakness that keep me dancing on the right ones...a husband who will hold me accountable…my testimony that would be affected by my stronghold…my desire to please God who has taught me a better way.  We all have our tendencies that are not beneficial to our lives and are contrary to our dreams.  We are all moving and living within our own video, and need the direction of the Holy Spirit to illuminate our way.  Choosing tiles not yet lit can lead us away from our desired life, detouring into darkness.  The Holy Spirit
will direct the flow of our dance if we wait on Him to show us the beneficial and perfect will of God for each of our lives.


I know what I’m doing.  I have it all planned out – plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.” MSG, Jeremiah 29:11

No comments: