Monday, October 23, 2017

The Best Surprise Ever!

I am certain that I will see the LORD’s goodness in the land of the living. Wait for the LORD; be strong, and let your heart be courageous. Wait for the LORD.” Psalm 27:13-14.

Over 7 years ago our dad closed his eyes to the temporal and opened his eyes to the permanent. It has been a long time since I have seen his sweet smile other than in my dreams. I have missed him terribly but I have complete peace and joy that I will be with him again. His new home certainly left a void in my mother’s life. She has demonstrated grief done beautifully well, as grief is anything but beautiful. She has shown me that pain and joy can co-exist in life. She has shown me that even in our hurt we can accept the things God allows. Through her faith she has restored life where death tried to win. She gave it no foothold in her days, and has built a wonderful subsequent chapter after a life with Daddy. She has filled her days with laughter, love and the joy of family, faith and friends. No matter what God brought to her, He walked her through it and was faithful. How did my mother accomplish this so well?

Because she walked in the certainty of His goodness no matter what was up ahead. She displayed strength and courage through her confidence in God’s will for her life. She didn’t try to force a future in her own strength. I want to be that woman who can laugh at the future instead of fear…I want to be that person who has that strength and courage to choose joy over pain.

And just when she wasn’t looking, God threw the most amazing surprise party for our 81-year mother! He opened the door of love and life with a wonderful man from her church. A week from tomorrow they will say their “I do’s” and begin a life that was totally unsearchable and unexpected. It was through her trust in God’s goodness, her strength to rise above her loss, and her courage to love again that a ring will once again be slipped on her finger…now that is the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living! God has wonderful things for each of us, if we will just wait on Him. He will not fail us.

Ask me and I will tell you remarkable secrets you do not know about things to come.” Jeremiah 33:3.

No comments: