Monday, November 27, 2017

When You Wish Upon a Star

When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a [wo]man, I gave up childish ways…Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have fully known.” 1 Co 13:11-12

I have always been the perfect audience for fairy tales. I think I’ve always believed that wonderful and exciting things are just around the corner. With every Disney princess I tried on the crown. With every fairy tale’s calamity, I knew the rescue was imminent. For every twinkling star I saw in the sky I knew it had the power for my dreams to be realized. But then as I grew into a young woman, the crown tarnished, the rescues looked different, and the star I wished upon certainly failed to deliver.

I think God placed fairy tales in our world to put a snapshot of hope in our hearts. They symbolize purity with darkness that lurks around. They invoke feelings of triumph and tragedy, sorrow and joy, hopelessness and hopefulness…the things that are similar to the world in which we live. But God is writing a beautiful tale for you and for me that is not fantasy. He is penning the circumstances right before our very eyes, but we are so focused on one chapter that we are missing the very scenes that could change our lives. We busy our hearts and minds in the previous chapter where the villain seemed to steal from us. We skip ahead to a future chapter that makes no sense to us. We sit around and try to guess the ending of the book when God just wants us to join Him on today’s page. I read this line in my book this morning and it really opened my heart. ‘I have been earnestly focused on a single star, while God patiently gestures me to the galaxy.She Reads Truth, p. 166.

When we can lift our eyes and really engage in the story God is writing for our lives we will walk out our story as God intended. We only have partial understanding, partial wisdom, partial information but God has the fullness of all things. When we keep our eyes on the last sentence He has written we will keep up with the story. He knows us fully and loves us completely so everything we are…everything we need…everything we will be He holds in His hand. ‘He is the God who is not bound by my efforts nor held back by my doubt.’ She Reads Truth, p 166. God is the guiding Star…the only Star and when we wish upon that Star it matters not who we are… dreams will come true.

Delight yourself in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart.” Psalm 37:4

No comments: