Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Potato Chips and Pork & Beans

When I was a little girl one of the most exciting things for me was the day leading up to my birthday. I really felt that a birthday celebration was special, as if I was the only one who was ever born on July 8. It felt as if the whole world would stop that day just to allow me to observe my special day. My mother never failed to arrange a day that lived up to that hope. I remember one of my favorite birthdays was when I turned 8 years old. I had asked for potato chips and pork and beans for my birthday. I remember specifically looking out of the window and watching my mother set up a few tables and chairs. The table held some wrapped presents and I was so excited when I saw the wrapped can-shaped gifts. We still laugh about that in our family but that is what is so special about birthdays…your heart holds desires that come true on that day.

I have a friend whose sister has been very ill for quite a while. Her sister’s heart has always been full of Jesus, and her love for others flowed from that heart. Her battle was cancer, and its cruelty lived up to the reputation. Her walk was nothing less than inspiration, and her courage and fight gave others permission to hope and embrace. As I was praying for her yesterday, I asked God not to take her on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. I inserted my own desire for her family over God’s perfect plan. What was His perfect plan? It was to call her home 5 hours ago. It was for her to be invited to the birthday party of the One for whom she has lived her whole life. It was for her to be a guest at His party, but all the gifts would have her name on them. I can just see it with the eyes of my heart. She walks up to the gate of Heaven with her greatest gift in her hand, a devoted heart of worship. Jesus invites her into the party and the music begins, and there will be dancing for sure! There is a long banquet table with all her favorite culinary offerings, and her name card is right between her mother and Christ. She realizes that they have saved her a seat at the birthday party, and for the first time in a good while she is healthy, whole and hungry. I wish God would send some snapshots from Heaven to her family who is on this side. But this I know…as God is throwing a huge party for His Son, He will not spare the gifts of peace, comfort and sustaining grace for those on earth.

When I think of this precious woman who is sitting around the birthday table today, I remember what my grandmother said when my granddaddy died. I asked her how she was doing so well without him and her answer still warms my heart. She said, ‘Brenda, your granddaddy just got up from one side of the table of Jesus and moved to the other side.’

Join me in prayer for this sweet family who walked her to the party. No doubt, she has opened many crowns and is casting them at the sweet feet of Jesus. "Earth has no sorrow that Heaven can't heal." Come As You Are, David Crowder

No comments: