Friday, December 29, 2017

When Death Loses

For we who live are always being given over to death for Jesus’s sake, so that Jesus’s life may also be displayed in our mortal flesh. So then, death is at work in us, but life in you.” 2 Cor 4:11-12

Well it is only 7:00 a.m. but I am emotionally worn out for the day.  My Bible study was so intense and probed in areas that have been closed off for years. It completely trespassed on land that hasn’t been walked upon in a very long time.  I have never fully understood our passage until this morning and have a whole new experience with it. 

When my sister Beth was diagnosed with Bile Duct Cancer she was given 3-6 months to live.  The family created a CaringBridge website where we documented her daily journey.  It had a guestbook section where people could post their encouragement, Scripture and prayers.  Reading those posts was life for Beth and we enjoyed reading them with her.  Her small body was riddled with cancer, but her spirit was saturated in whole health.  She never complained, never showed any anger and never forgot her smile.  While death wrestled life inside her, her walk was inspirational, and her legacy was unforgettable.  Many people have told us their lives changed through the experience of watching her life ‘carry around death’ walking towards real life.  I knew that I couldn’t write today’s post without revisiting the CaringBridge books which contain the life people discovered through her death.  Because just as Christ suffered we suffer on earth, but because of His resurrection death loses the fight!  Death seems to scream louder, but life quietly wins.  As I tearfully turned to the last page…the last post…the last splash of ink I was blessed with the faithfulness of God.  I saw my dad’s last entry.  He completely understood that while death wages war within us, life will be what’s on display for each of us when we cross over into that beautiful land.  “The fact is, sometimes God may…allow us to go through something that nearly kills us so someone else can come alive…He can use death at work in one person to demonstrate life at work to another.” The Quest, p.187.

The empty cross gave every one of us who believe the greatest exchange that every happened on this planet.  Our births wrapped us in flesh giving us covering to live in this world.  When our flesh fails, as it was meant to, it will be exchanged for our heavenly covering of perfection.  So, I leave you this morning with the last ink written in the CaringBridge book written by my dad who joined her a year later.

Thank you dear one for your faithfulness to God…Beth, the impact your life has made on people throughout your sphere of influence is truly inspirational.  As I said in my tribute, mom and I will see you on the other side.  To our loving daughter, this is a new beginning!   Love, Mom & Dad.” 3/20/2009


No comments: