Monday, November 5, 2018

Providing the Gown

"And there will be a shelter to give shade from the heat by day, and refuge and protection from the storm and the rain." Isaiah 4:6

Saturday was one of the most beautiful days in a long time. I couldn’t wait to get out there and walk in the crisp of the morning with the sun on my face. I usually walk in a neighborhood close to my home but decided to go to a nearby park. As I was walking around the asphalted walking path, I rounded the corner to see this shelter covering a child’s future birthday party. I noticed there was a rope strung from one post to the other which held 10 princess dresses. Sitting on a nearby table were favors to be given to each little princess after they finished their play on the nearby playground. I immediately was touched with the display of hospitality. Obviously, it was a princess party, but this mother had anticipated the needs of all the children, not just her own little princess. The next time I got to the location the mother was there placing the cake in the middle of the table. I told her how thoughtful she was to have provided dresses. She stated, ‘We invited everyone to wear their own dresses, but we had enough to cover everyone if they wanted to wear our dresses.’ What a beautiful picture of welcoming everyone with whatever they wish to wear but sharing their resources with those who didn’t own a princess dress.

I sure wish our culture had this same spirit of hospitality. I would give anything for our shelters to be filled with kindness…love…encouragement…and acceptance no matter who wandered into our lives. It wouldn’t matter if people were white or black…Christian or not…democrat or republican. I wish all people would string their shelters with the fruit of the Spirit from post to post and fill their tables with favors for all. I wish that we would straighten another's crown instead of removing it. As I consider my wishes I recall God's heart on the matter. Matthew 25:39-40 states, ‘When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? When did we see You sick or in prison and visit You?’ And the King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of Mine, you did for Me.’

When I think of that young mom who anticipated the needs of those other little princesses, I am blessed to know that through her provision for others she provided for the King. So, build your shelter well and may it be fit for a King!


No comments: