Monday, December 9, 2019

The Open Towel

Do not worry then, saying, ‘What will we eat?’ or ‘What will we drink?’ or ‘What will we wear for clothing?’…your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” Matthew 6:31-34.

A few years ago, while at Folly Beach I had put on my walking clothes and shoes to get my exercise for the day. As I walked out the front door, I noticed how heavy the clouds looked but I had grown accustomed to the clouds moving quickly through the area. I decided to go ahead and walk and chance the weather. I always loved going to the end of the pier and sitting down for prayer time under the covered shelter. As I approached the pier, I noticed the wind had picked up and the clouds had turned very dark. I thought I had a little more time than I did but by the time I was near the end of the pier the sky tore open drenching me. I hurried to the shelter and took refuge while the wind whipped from side to side. I was freezing cold and drenched to the bone when finally, the rain stopped. I knew I needed to take advantage of walking between squalls, so I started walking back. As I looked up, I saw Bruce standing at the beginning of the pier with a few towels in his hands waiting for me. He knew what I needed before I even asked for it. He saw the storm, grabbed some towels and drove to find me. He knew I would be under the shelter on the pier. I recall that although I was freezing my heart was warmed by the faithfulness of His love and care.

I think of that day often when I consider how God is always there waiting on us to provide warmth from the cold circumstances in our lives. I consider how He knows every place we will go and every need that must be met. He is gathering the things we need before we even ask for them.  I am so thankful that even we make poor decisions like 'walking under black skies' He still meets us ‘at the end of the pier’ with His arms wide open.

In a world full of problems…troubles…devastation we must not look ahead in fear but look behind in truth. There has not been one day in my past where God did not meet my needs. He has faithfully provided any lack I was experiencing. Jesus cautioned that we would have many challenges in this life, but God has proven that He is the problem solver. While tomorrow might take care of itself, God will take care of today. Trust Him with today and you will face tomorrow with confidence.

No comments: