Monday, March 29, 2021

3:00 Worker

For the kingdom of heaven is like a landowner who went out early in the morning to hire workers for his vineyard. He agreed to pay them a denarius for the day and sent them into his vineyard.” Matthew 20:1-2

I don’t know about you but if I was aware that I was walking out my final week on earth, I doubt I would be telling stories about people who didn’t exist. Jesus had the cross on His mind, but you and I on His heart. He began telling His disciples the story of a vineyard owner who went into town to hire some workers. He hired a few men first thing in the morning…hired a few more at noon…hired a few more at 3:00 pm…and hired His last group at 5:00. Obviously, the ones hired at 5:00 only worked a fraction of the sweltering day but ended up getting paid the same amount as the ones who worked all day. It is no wonder that the early morning workers got frustrated with the fact they had worked the hardest and the longest for the same pay. The vineyard owner’s response is the same response that Jesus gives us…‘I'm not being unfair to you, friend. Didn't you agree to work for a denarius?' (v.13) The promise was not that they would earn according to their time spent in the vineyard or their performance…the promise was that they would receive a certain amount of payment regardless of their circumstances.

This fictitious story in print is the reality of what Jesus did for all of us…the preachers…the missionaries …the farmers…the workers…the unemployed…the addicted…the thieves…the murderers…you and I on our worst day walking out our biggest sin. He paid the cost to choose us and to make us a part of His family in spite of our lack of devotion or service for Him. Whether we received God’s love and message as a young child or turned to Him at the end of our lives we get the same reward…complete grace… complete forgiveness…fullness in eternity.

Being that I really didn’t have an intimate relationship with Christ until I was 45 years old, I’m thankful that this parable came straight from the heart of Jesus. It was His story that would come to fruition just 7 days later as He hung on the cross. He paid the same price for us all so we experience the same grace no matter what our position was on earth. This parable says that He chose me at 45 years and I will receive the same grace and final destination as my grandmother who chose Him at 16. I was a ‘3:00 worker’ in His vineyard and should receive so much less than those who are 9:00 and 12:00 workers. But that is grace, and that is Christ. No matter whether you have walked with God since you were a teenager or have recently responded to His call, we will all be caught up with Him in the clouds one day shoulder to shoulder, first in line even if we were previously last. Grace is the ultimate equalizer!

So the last will be first, and the first will be last.” Matthew 20:16


No comments: