Tuesday, March 30, 2021

And Yet He Walked

 They will give the Son the Man to the non-Jewish people to laugh at him and beat him with whips and crucify him. But on the third day he will be raised to life again.” Matthew 20:19


One of my best friends lent me this wonderful book to read as I set my heart of the final week of Jesus’ life and journey to the cross. It was written by Max Lucado and entitled, The Final Week of Jesus. I want to be intentional this week and not consumed with a fun Spring Break trip I have with my daughters and grandchildren beginning Saturday. Don’t get me wrong…I look forward to this trip every year. But Jesus took a more valuable trip this time a few thousand years ago as He made His way to an empty cross on a lonely hill between two worthy death-mates. He was well aware of the fate that awaited Him and yet He walked.

This book boasts quite a statement that rings true in my heart and I fully believe… ‘You can tell a lot about a person by the way he dies’ p.16. I can remember my grandmother laying on her little bed in a nursing home her final weeks of life. An aid told me that every time someone would enter her room she would always ask if they knew Jesus. She used whatever remaining breath in her 101-year-old body to both introduce Jesus and invite them to love Him. Grandmother was resolute about facing her end on earth with the urgency of inviting others to join her in Heaven. How does someone like Grandmother face death so resolute with others on her heart? Because she had the perfect Mentor, Christ Jesus.

Jesus was resolute as He kept His face towards the cross. Step by step He approached His death fully aware that His days were limited, and He would suffer unimaginably. And yet…He walked…He taught. He used His final breath to forgive and invite. ‘Father, forgive them…‘Luke 23:34 ‘Truly I tell you, today you will be with Me in paradise.’ Luke 23:43. I would say without a doubt that the Teacher taught my grandmother well. She had the resolute of Jesus in her heart until the very end and so did Christ.

Max Lucado wrote a remarkable summation to win over the jury that settles in my heart today.

See his passion…the Savior who will not give up on his children until they are found. Hear his promise…the Redeemer who would rather go to hell for you than to heaven without you.’

As I walk out the Tuesday before Easter, that is what I want on my mind…a Savior who had me and you on His mind.


No comments: