Tuesday, December 28, 2021

Because We Believe

“Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?” Job 2:10

I don’t believe it is an exaggeration to state that 2021 was a challenging year at best... a heartbreaking year at worst. I have witnessed the pandemic stripping innumerable families of loved ones and it’s not finished yet. I have watched marriages be torn apart in an unprecedented time of stress. I have seen businesses that were built on grit, sweat and sacrifice shutter and fail. I have watched loves ones bid farewell to parents and siblings, and I have lost one of my best friends. On the other side of ‘trouble’ as our verse calls it, I have joyfully received my 5th grandchild. I have watched Bruce receive great vision after cataract surgeries. With a grateful heart, I watched my mother turn 86 this year. I’m so proud of my baby sister who opened Seasons 311, a counseling practice for those navigating their own troubles. And while I consider the good and the trouble, my thoughts are suddenly given expression through the ponderings of Anthony Evans, Jr. co-author of Divine Disruption – Holding on to Faith When Life Breaks Your Heart, p. 12.

He asks, ‘How can we reconcile the kindness of God when He allows such difficult things? What do you do when you are disappointed with God? How do you balance the goodness of God with the tragedies of life?’ Tough questions...challenging thoughts. These were questions that Tony, Jr. asked his father who is a famous pastor in Texas. Through his tears he was experiencing from loss and grief, his dad answered, ‘Because I believe what I preach. Where would I be in a situation like this without an anchor? I believe in the sovereignty and goodness of God. And because I believe, I keep going...We have to believe that God knows what He is doing when He’s not doing what we want Him to do. Death and timing belong to God, and He doesn’t allow me into that space.’ Wow!

There is great comfort when we believe in God’s goodness in spite of our circumstances. There is great freedom in taking our disappointment and anger to God regarding our suffering. We only have to look as far as Jesus to see that God allows the good and the bad to flow into our lives. Christ walked out His excruciating journey which had both wonderful and devastating seasons. But Christ new what we should remember. This is not our home and we are only passing through this place to a permanent one where there will be no more tears...no more troubles...no more sin... no more sickness. With or without God, we are still going to experience the troubles of this world, so why wouldn’t we chose the One who can carry us through it with peace and hope.



No comments: