Monday, December 6, 2021

With One Glance

“...You have captured my heart with one glance of your eyes...” Song of Solomon 4:9

It was March of 1984 and I had decided to transfer from Duke Power in Lancaster to the main office in Charlotte. Honestly speaking, the transfer was motivated by my desire to start a new life away from Lancaster. I had married as a 19-year-old and became a mother as a 21-year-old before I had even grown up. I was riddled with insecurities about everything and never felt as if I excelled in anything. I wanted to desperately be the best wife and mother but I had failed at one, and was determined to succeed at the other. The day I went to the Charlotte office I was to meet with my Human Resources person who would facilitate my transfer. I remember that day so well and was tenderly reminded of our first meeting this morning with this verse. The words of King Solomon echoed in my heart as I recalled my first meeting...‘he captured my heart with one glance’ (and a devilish smile). I knew instantly that while I was seeking a job, I had found something so much grander. We have certainly had our ups and downs...our heartaches and joys...our failures and successes. But we always return to those early feelings that fueled our heart and still do 37 years later.

Our spiritual journey with God is no different. The Song of Solomon, although the characters were real, is a book that symbolizes the intense love of the Father. He was mindful of us before He ever formed us. With the very breath of the Creator, we were born into this world through the motivation of His perfect love. He created us perfectly from His image and we were captivated by His heart at first glance. As in my marriage with all its ebbs and flows, we also have quite a lifetime of stories with God ...crazy twists and turns...failures and successes...heartbreaks and joys.

Isn’t it easy to lose sight of the fact that we still capture God’s heart every second? Isn’t it amazing that He still desires to glance into our eyes when we can’t seem to make eye contact with Him? Don’t we sometimes feel like that little 24-year-old girl of yesterday whose failure could have defined her had she not opened her heart to try again?

We must remember that before we ever sinned God knew us perfectly to the core and adored us. He knew we would acquiesce to the flesh but He created us anyway. He was aware of the sin that would tempt and entangle us, yet He provided a way out through Christ no matter what we did. All of our years ago, when we first opened our eyes to this tough world, we captivated God’s heart with one glance...and we still do...because although we may change God does not and neither does His love. 



No comments: