Wednesday, December 15, 2021

Wherever They Are

“Father, I want everyone you have given me to be with me, wherever I am. Then they will see the glory you have given me, because you loved me before the world was created.” John 17:24

This morning during my prayer time, I was asking God for His blessing over our time this Sunday, when the Miller crew of 32 get together to celebrate Christmas. It is always wild, loud, and confusing but I like it that way! Four generations will burst through our front doors in a matter of minutes and the walls will once again witness for a 36th time this home filled with love, laughter, and legacy. As soon as I asked for His blessing, today’s verse came to my mind in a way it never has before, and I knew I would write about it.
I was picturing Jesus stating this prayer to God hours before the cross was erected so all could witness His death. I can just hear His prayerful whisper but He wasn’t praying for Himself. He was praying for those whom God had given Him...His friends...His family...His people...you...me. His plea? That they end up with Him wherever He would be. Jesus was at the end of His life and His family and friends knew it. Oh, how that resonates with me this morning as I survey the landscape of 2021. Was that the prayer of our sweet ones who were lifted to Heaven this past year? While we saw their lives ebbing away, I’m confident they were seeing their lives just beginning. While we heard silence God was hearing their request to bring us also there one day and share in the glory they were presently seeing.
Jesus had them on His mind at the very end of life and I am given comfort this morning that so did our loved ones. They were seeing the beautiful opening of the gates with the bright Light streaming in as this world was fading away. They were hearing the majestic music of Heaven as the sounds of their rooms became distant. They were being sworn in as a permanent resident of the place where Jesus went. It was the desire of Jesus then and it is still the desire of Jesus now...that everyone whom God has given will be where Christ is.
Everyone in our circle...whether family, friends or foe...have been given to us by God since before we were born. It is up to us to bring unity among these precious gifts never forgetting that God makes no mistakes. It is up to us to honor those with whom God has chosen for us. What a beautiful prayer we should all consider today and every day.



No comments: