Monday, June 9, 2008

Sword Drawn!

"Who is like you, a people saved by the LORD? He is your shield and helper and your glorious sword. Your enemies will cower before you, and you will trample down their high places" Deut. 33:29.

This is one small part of the blessing Moses pronounced onto the Israelites before they entered the promised land of Canaan. He is exhorting them to see themselves through the eyes of God - a people who is saved and protected by the Almighty God serving as their shield. The glorious sword is of course the Word which is everything we need to be victorious in all situations. I began thinking about a sword and how vital it was in war. The success of using the sword was to have it fully drawn so it could penetrate deep into the enemy giving that final deathblow. We too are to always have our Sword fully drawn ready for war opposed to having it buried deep in the sheath!
Don't enter your battles with a partially drawn Sword and sharpen your Sword daily to prepare for those battles.

Looking back in my life I see that during my daughter's drug use my knees were raw and my heart broken but my sword was not drawn. Although I was raised in the church and committed many verses to memory I had never used the Word as a weapon against my circumstances. My Sword was dull and deeply buried in its cover. Thankfully God delivered me through this time of deep and long running suffering. Had my Sword been sharpened daily and fully drawn I could have experienced the peace and comfort that God promises through knowing Him and His word. I now enjoy running into battle with my Sword fully drawn and I spend time in His word daily so I will enter battle with confidence, trust in Him and complete faith in the Commander!

Is your Sword sharp?

4 comments:

Brenda Emmons said...

Draw your Sword!

Benita said...

Ephesians 6: 10-16 talks about putting on the whole Armour of God so that we may be able withstand the evil in our day.

We as Christians need to recognize that we are in a battle against an enemy we can't see!! Therefore, our strength is in the Lord, and victory has already been secured through Jesus Christ.

We serve a risen Savior, not some dead hero. PRAISE GOD! PRAISE GOD! PRAISE GOD!

Benita said...

By drawing the Sword and preparing for battle we can claim victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

The words of an old standby hymn published in the early 1880's comes to mind.

Redeemed how I love to proclaim it!
Redeemed by the blood of the Lamb:
Redeemed through His infinite
mercy, His child and forever I am!!

Jesus Christ, our Redeemer, has paved the way for us to be victorious in the fight against Satan and evil in the world today.

Don said...

This ministry helps provide a lift every day because it challenges me to think about feeding on the manna provided through the Word of God, the Bible.