Thursday, February 24, 2011

On The Throne

“Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego replied to the king, ‘O Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you in this matter. If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us from it, and he will rescue us from your hand, O king. But even if he does not, we want you to know, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up.’” Daniel 3:16-18.

This is one of my favorite Bible passages in the entire Bible. It is the statement of belief that I want to speak in my heart as loudly as on my tongue. It is the resolve that I want lifted in my spirit before my mind ever contradicts. It is facing our circumstances which have risen above our abilities and now rule our lives. It can be the king of materialism, power or bitterness, just to name a few. The throne could impose upon us the cruelty of loneliness, medical illness or spiritual emptiness. I am sure we each have a king whom, if left unchecked, can rule over our lives.

Whatever kingdom has risen in power above us will beckon our worship daily. With God at the center of our focus, we have the ability to say no to bowing down to the compromises it offers. Most times, we bow to our king in an effort to avoid the ‘hot messes’ for which our choices have found us. We ask for a resolution instead of recognizing that God is the Savior in all of our self-made kingdoms.

Our three gentle spiritual giants above make sure that the king knows he is just that – a self appointed position that God continues to rule above. We must stake our faith on solid ground that God will save and deliver no matter what. We cannot predetermine what the rescue may look like but we can prepare for the Savior.

As we climb the steps to the heated mouth of the furnace, our faith must stay focused on the redemptive work that is about to be accomplished through the season. We will all walk through fires and wade through deep waters but the hand of the LORD will never leave us nor forsake us. 'When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the LORD, your God...Since you are precious and honored in my sight and because I love you...You are...my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand...apart from me there is no savior. No one can deliver out of my hand.' Isaiah 43:2-4, 43:10-13.

When I reflect over the past five years as I walked through the blindness of what seemed impassable valleys, I know in my heart that I would never have known Jesus the way I know Him now without those dark, silent and excruciating experiences. I praise God for the dark kingdom for which I just passed through, for in this kingdom a new King arose to the throne. Praise be to God for in the dark valleys He turns them to light!

No comments: