Monday, August 1, 2011

Casualty of War

“When the men of Judah came over to the place that overlooks the desert and looked towards the vast army, they saw only dead bodies lying on the ground; no one had escaped…There was so much plunder that it took three days to collect it. On the fourth day they assembled where they praised the Lord.” 2 Ch. 20:24, 25b

Although these words are on paper telling of a remarkable experience on a remarkable day at the hands of a remarkable God, this story is alive in 2011.

For five years our desert was terminal diseases with many battles and heartbreaking earthly casualties. It was a season of war after war with armies of uncontrolled emotions and deep despair. It was the wilderness that required complete dependency on God and His daily manna from Heaven. But all deserts have a boundary of entrance and of exit.

As I have come to the place overlooking the desert I praise God that I am beyond that bloody battle. As I reflect, my losses have nothing to do with my loved ones as they are living in the land of abundance with the Devine. What they lacked on earth they have in Heaven. Whatever wounds and sorrow defined them down here have been perfectly healed as they fellowship face to face with the Father. What I do see as dead bodies on the ground as I survey the land is the failure of Satan to destroy during this season. He invaded at a time when I was weak but God prevailed. Satan sought but God fought! This is also your God who is mighty to save in all things and all seasons.

I am living in the third and fourth days now, one of collecting blessings and praising the One who went before me and fought on my behalf. Each of us has either left the desert, is in the desert or will enter the desert. The journey has been marked out before us, so we must anticipate the battles and allow the Commander to fight for us. Satan is behind every battle so our preparation is crucial for triumph. He knows his ineffectiveness against God so he fights dirty. He waits until we are down and out, fearful and so weary we cannot see up ahead. But, he always underestimates and forgets that when we are weak God is strong, and His power begins where our strength ends. When will Satan learn? Our battle strategy is found in 2 Chronicles. ‘You will not have to fight this battle. Take up your positions; stand firm and see the deliverance the Lord will give you…Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. Go out to face them tomorrow, and the Lord will be with you.’
And when we take up our position of faith, standing on that firm place we will see the battle from afar. We will not allow Satan to swallow up the hope that is ours. And now, atop the mountain looking down on the desert I repeat the words of Paul in 2Tim. 4:16-18.

But the Lord stood by my side and gave strength, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed…and I was delivered from the lion’s mouth. The Lord will rescue me from every evil attack and bring me safely to his…kingdom.’

...and our Father will rescue you too!

No comments: