Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Love In The Trinity

“In the beginning, God…” Gen. 1:1; “God is love.” 1 John 4:16; “Then God said, ‘Let us make man in our image…’” Gen 1:26

When I met Bruce I fell head over heels in love with him. The beginning of that relationship marked fresh hope in sharing my love with someone and excitement for a life of fellowship and intimacy with him. In love, we created a life together as we walked out our relationship for a future. At some point, we looked at each other and decided from this love to bring into our lives a baby whom we could share that love. We ended up with three wonderful children with whom we have deep devotion, love and intimacy.

God, within the fellowship of the Trinity, said these same words about each of us. ‘Let us make man…’ Through the love that flowed from the Trinity we were each created in and from that love. That is why God’s love is perfect love and when we live in God we live in His perfect love. With every birth of every child that makes its way into this life, that baby was formed in the love of the Trinity. We are simply the vessels that God uses to bring the apples of His eye into this world, entrusting us with His treasured and beloved children.

As I recall tenderly unwrapping the little blanket in the hospital to see every part of my baby, I was so overwhelmed with my love for this vulnerable soul. I immediately wrapped the blanket back around so my sweet child wouldn’t be cold or feel insecure. I would draw that baby up into my warm neck and feel its breath upon my skin. God’s capacity to love is so much greater than our own so you can imagine how serious He takes anything that threatens His children. Just as we have been comforted by our mothers and have comforted as mothers, so does God as He draws us into Himself and pulls us into His warm neck. He holds us so close that He feels our breath and hears our cries. From this love we love, and from this comfort we comfort.

In the beginning…and every day since…we love because ‘they’ first loved us.

No comments: