Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Sifting - Battleground of Emotions

"Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there..." Psalm 139:7-10. "But if I go to the east, he is not there; if I go to the west, I do not find him. When he is at work in the north, I do not see him; when he turns to the south, I catch no glimpse of him. But he knows the way that I take; when he has tested me, I will come forth as gold. My feet have closely followed his steps; I have kept to this way without turning aside. I have not departed from the commands of his lips; I have treasured the words of his mouth more than my daily bread." Job 51:8-12.

I love how the Bible shows the extreme of human emotions. The first passage is David's exhortation to God that David cannot hide from God anywhere. He recites this beautiful poetry of the presence of God in all things and in all times. On the other hand, we have poor Job, who was presently being attacked by Satan, desperately seeking God but not finding Him in any direction for which he sought. Job sorrowfully recites the findings of his pursuit of God which is nowhere. Job then recites his faithfulness to God and how he treasured the words of God's mouth. I believe that Job is basically saying that because I cannot hear you or find you in this season I have to remind myself of previous times of fellowship.

One of the differences between Job and David is that Job was in a season of satanic sifting (much like Peter in the New Testament). My commentary states that God needed to move Job to the next level of faith so He used Satan as a means for that growth. When we are in a season of sifting with evil all around us it is difficult to hear God. He may allow a temporary distance to accomplish a permanent purpose in this life of His children. As David recited his emotions at the time he spoke to the Lord in first person - directly to Him. As Job recited his emotions he spoke about God in third person as if God wasn't around.

God allows suffering to bring us around to match His purpose for which He calls us. To accomplish His purpose we must be brought from point A (our flesh) to point B (our new self in Him). We all have flesh attitudes that are non-negotiables in the purposes of God. The journey of removing these attitudes between the 'call and the send' is up to God. 'Satan had a sieve. Christ had a purpose. The two collided. Satan got used. Peter (insert any of our names) got sifted. He had to get the Simon out of Peter and used a sifting of Satan. The One who calls us is faithful, and He will do whatever it takes to sanctify to fulfill our callings." Why Godly People Do Ungodly Things, p. 52.

While our emotions may be everchanging in our circumstances and seasons, God's faithfulness will never change. Through the Initiator comes the victory...and the faith of His children will be refined.

No comments: