Friday, June 1, 2012

Let's Talk...

"And you, my son, Solomon, acknowledge the God of your father, and serve him with wholehearted devotion and with a willing mind, for the LORD searches every heart and understands every motive behind the thoughts. If you seek him, he will be found by you…Consider now, for your LORD has chosen you to build…Be strong and do the work.” 1 Chronicles 28:9-10.

I have no doubt that Solomon grew up very aware of the love and devotion his father had towards God. King David had adored Yahweh since he was brought out of the field as a young shepherd boy. With both wholehearted devotion and a willing mind to serve God, David still managed to slip into the darkness of sin. The Psalms offer many beautiful praises to God that David penned, along with laments of his failures. He was a man well aware of the caution required in dealing with his temptations. I am sure that the words above were certainly not the first time Solomon had ever heard these exhortations from his father. David spoke tenderly to his young son as he was preparing him to be king. ‘Son, don’t do what I did…Be aware of what divides your heart and controls your mind…Always meditate on God’s words…Serve where He shows you to serve…work where He assigns you and be devoted and committed to His choosing for your life.’

I spoke a lifetime of ‘words of wisdom’ to my children as they were growing up. In retrospect, my words were centered in encouraging them to ‘do good and be good.’ Since I have more deeply moved into an intimate relationship with God, I have become aware of missed opportunities in the encouragement and godly wisdom I could have given to my kids as children. Thankfully, our Father doesn’t place an expiration date on His wisdom. He continuously provides windows of opportunities to pass along new found truths I have learned. I cannot teach what I do not know, so I am grateful for the mistakes I have made. It has given me a message to share with others along the way. Much like David, my messages are, ‘Don’t wait so long to search for a deep relationship with God…Set your mind and your heart on things that are important to God, not to man…Look for God’s initiation in your work, not selfish motives...Recognize that where He has placed you in life is the intention of His mind and heart for you...work hard in these intentions.' Like the song says, 'These are a few of my favorite things.'

The more I learn the more I am aware of how far I have to go, but with God’s grace He keeps me moving forward. It is when we allow Him complete access to our heart that our minds are renewed and our hearts are transformed.

'Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed.’ Prov. 16:3…spoken like a true son of the King!



No comments: