Thursday, June 7, 2012

Spiritual Book Clubs


“…if you accept my words and store up my commands within you…and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the LORD and find the knowledge of God.  For the LORD gives wisdom, and from his mouth come knowledge and understanding.  He holds victory in store for the upright…For wisdom will enter your heart, and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul.” Prov. 2:1-10

When I was in ninth grade I signed up for a speed reading course which was offered in my high school.  I remember that the purpose was more about the volume we would read opposed to the depth of understanding that would be attained.  We were tested on the general points of the stories but not on the details.  In the latter part of ninth grade I was required to read Huck Finn.  What a different experience in reading this novel.  I inserted myself in the story and found my home among the barefoot boys that roamed the streets looking for adventure.   I was able to experience what they were experiencing and lift their life lessons from the pages. 

Reading the Bible is not a speed reading course in life where we boast about how many times we have read it.  We are to experience God’s word through the beautiful stories of those who went before us…novels of fear and faith…accounts of adventures with God.   We are to mine the chapters in search of His precious relics which we will collect and store up in our hearts.  We are to use the Light to search in the dark places of our hearts finding those nuggets of knowledge and understanding from God. 

The caves to mine are endless and the Author of our lives never quits writing our novel.  Our story builds one chapter to the next, swelling in faith and adventure with twists and turns.  When we access His knowledge and wisdom through His word, we can apply it to the next season of our lives.  Then one day when that final page has been written and our novel on earth is finished, we will join the eternal library where our stories will never end.

No comments: