Thursday, July 26, 2012

Living the Single Life


But whatever was to my profit I consider loss for the sake of Christ.  What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things” Phil 3:7-8.

I am extremely fortunate to have had an awesome childhood.  I always felt the love of my parents along with a large extended family.  Apart from the normal girlfriend drama, I was part of a group of girls whom I adore to this day.  I made my plans based on my own desires and enjoyed coming and going as I pleased.  A profitable life for sure… But, in June of 1985 I gave it all up to gain a husband, who also gave up the single life.  Through laying down our individually focused lives, we gained a life of partnership, equality and devotion to each other.   Through our loss of the single life, we definitely gained in our shared life. 

This is an earthly version of the spiritual life when we leave behind our flesh way of living.  In the past, I sought certain attributes to build an image.  I pursued things for the physical profit and didn’t pay attention to the spiritual.  I placed my confidence in the wisdom the world provides instead of God’s wisdom.  I certainly knew of God, but sadly didn’t know God.  It wasn’t until I gave up my life as a single person, spiritually speaking, and married into the life of Christ.  When I walked away from the single life, that is having a focus on just me, I began experiencing the greatness of Jesus.  Just as I came to know and adore Bruce through shared experiences, I have come to really know God as my Lord and Savior. 

Looking back in my spiritual life, I will never forget what it was like to be single for it draws a defining line in the sand.  I am so grateful for the surpassing knowledge I have of Christ and am excited for future intimacy.  Christ knows all about having to lose everything to gain it all. 

Losing our single life to Christ will ensure the gain we were created to receive.

No comments: