Monday, May 27, 2013

Beyond the Honeysuckles


Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen” Eph. 3:20-21.

For those of you who need to know that God is faithfully and completely in the smallest details of our lives…this story is for you!  Bruce and I go to Folly Beach a lot and I am totally motivated to go on my brisk exercise walk while there.  But, when I get back home that motivation seems to wane and I find myself dreading the walk.  This morning as I looked out of the window and up my steep driveway I dreaded the mundane walk that I usually do.  I even voiced some of my blessings I have walking at Folly that I do not have here…little trafficno steep daunting driveway at the beginningdifferent views and routes.  I even remembered another blessing while walking at Folly…the overwhelming fragrance of the honeysuckles that float through the island’s air.  But, I pushed through the feelings, laced up my tennis shoes, put on my praise music and climbed the driveway.

As I walked the steepest part I realized that my heart wasn’t pounding as usual.  My breath wasn’t short as I got to the top and rounded the corner.  I only felt the burn in my legs and hips which is where I need it the most!  I thanked God for the ease of the beginning of my walk.  Where I live I only have two routes that I feel are safe so I headed towards the development one road over.  The path to get there is daunting…ground that is not level for my injured foot…grass that is rarely mowed…no sidewalk …traffic flying by as I am trying to the get over to the development.  To my delight, the path had just been mowed and I could see every step I placed my foot.  When I got to the part on the land that wasn’t mowed I stepped out into the road and not one car came.  I began to realize that God was breaking down every obstacle I had cited and blessed me with the same situation as Folly.  As I was enjoying the fact that God blessed me for pushing through the dread of walking, I was blown away by the next thing that happened. 

As I got to the place that I normally turn left towards the community I noticed that if I crossed the road and took a right the sidewalk continued.  Following my curiosity I continued on the sidewalk thinking it would soon end.  As I turned the corner I found myself at the beginning of a straight stretch of sidewalk beautifully lined with tall trees that almost touched each other at the top creating the feeling of an archway…a red carpet laid out before me by my Father.  As I began moving down that sidewalk to my left was a wall of honeysuckle bushes with the aroma overtaking my senses.  To my right were tall beautiful magnolia trees dripping with huge magnolia blooms.  Tears began streaming down my face and with each step I was reminded of how much God loves me.  All of my senses were wide awake with His presence and nothing else in this world mattered.  I was so humbled by the fact that the God of the universe loves me so much that He matched my simple desires with His blessings.  My heart was completely overwhelmed with His special touches that were unique to my heart in just an ordinary walk on an ordinary day with an extraordinary God.  As if one of these blessings would have been enough He went beyond the honeysuckles and gave me the magnolias. 

What do your dreams consist of this morning?  What desires have not yet been realized in your life?  As you go about your day look for God’s special touches…expect His amazing blessings …believe in His power…look beyond the honeysuckles!

No comments: