Friday, May 17, 2013

Seek First


In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps” Proverbs 16:9.

Over the past few days my husband and I have had lots of discussion on the golden years and the path to get there. Like everyone, we hope to enjoy retirement with enough resources to live on and the health to enjoy those years. Although we do not have complete control in either concern, we can put some things in place to ensure a better probability. I can eat right and exercise in an effort to keep my body healthy. I can forego spending to favorably impact our savings. One concept I find hard to reconcile is the balance between planning our future and trusting God for our future. This morning my Bible Study focused on Humanism vs. Christianity. I had never heard of Humanism and its definition left me feeling even more confused about this concept.

Humanism is a man-centered religion running rampart in our world today. It is a theology that places more importance on an individual’s rational thought than on adherence to religious principle. Humanists embrace their own reasoning as the basis of their decision making.Gideon, p. 35. I know that God gave us His word for instruction for our responsibility regarding money and keeping our bodies holy and healthy. I think it is noteworthy that the word human takes a prominent place at the beginning of Humanism while Christ is out front in Christianity. Maybe my answer is in this concept. The way to reconcile this may be found in Matthew 6:33 in the words of Christ. ‘But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.’ To understand what all these things means we must back up and hopefully reconcile my dilemma. ‘And why do you worry about clothes? So do not worry, saying ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness…’

It seems to me that the difference is in the priority we give our concerns. Do we take them first to God and then give Him space to be God? Do we chase after ghosts hoping for the best but preparing for the worst? Are we placing human reasoning ahead of God’s promises? So many spiritual principles relate to His guidance in every area of our lives. So with this being said, I have to believe that if we put Christ first with a yielded heart, allow Him to guide step by step, and leave room in our reasoning for God to alter our plans then we come in for the blessing of Matthew 6:33.

With all of my past striving and failed planning I will be happy to live out Christianity over Humanism, because this human can do nothing apart from Christ.

No comments: