Monday, July 29, 2013

Rediscovering Security

For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God.  For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, ‘Abba!  Father!’”  Romans 8:14-15.

Growing up I always felt safe when I was at home with my parents.  Both my mother and father created an environment of love, protection and faithfulness which continued into adulthood.  As life happened and adversity became part of my life there was comfort and peace in going home.  Walking through the threshold of their house created rest and reassurance deep in my heart.  It was in this fellowship of family that I would rediscover any confidence and security I lacked based on my circumstances.  While I may have arrived with fear I seldom left with that same fear.  I am sure that each of you has experienced the same comfort by retreating to a father or mother, sister or brother or another significant person in your life when challenging seasons occur. 

The same is with our fellowship within our intimacy with God.  When we are examining the future through fearful eyes we are invited to walk through the threshold of God’s love.  He invites us to sit at His table and share in His nourishment.  We ask and He gives…we question and He explains what we need to understand…we cry and He comforts.  Through our adversity and pain we discover more of the Father who adopted us through His son, Christ Jesus.  We become half-brothers and half-sisters with the spiritual family.  When we fully and sincerely grasp who our Father really is we will walk away in confidence and belief that our circumstances have already been handled.  Our fear should no longer guide as we become encouraged by our faith in God’s abilities and commitment to His children. 

Today may we all walk through our Father’s threshold of love and experience His faithfulness in every circumstance.  

No comments: