Friday, July 12, 2013

Which Trinity?


James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ” James 1:1.

In this inconspicuous quiet verse, James’ introduction of himself thundered a message… ‘I will not define myself by who I am or what position I hold…my identity is in both Father and Son.’  In all rights, James could have taken his place on the platform and introduced himself in very impressive ways.  He could have made some noise by pulling out a number of trump cards … ‘I am James, head of the church…I am James, leader of the Jerusalem council.’  Or he could have promoted himself in the most impressive title of all. ‘I am James, first born under Christ Jesus…half-brother to the Lord…greatness by association!’  Yet, how did he introduce himself?  I am James and I am a slave to God and Christ.  His words promote God and his introduction shows a life hidden in Christ.  His silence on his own accomplishments and position scream louder than any words.

These 11 words are so powerful to me because it is the desire of my heart.  I want to be so hidden in Christ that my introductions point to the Master.  I have lived out the moments of glory that I snatched for myself.  I have boasted of those with whom I have been aligned.  I have sprinkled my conversations with accomplishments and self-promotion.  It has left me with a terrible taste in my mouth over the years.   I know that I am most offended by those who remind me of my old self – those who self-exalt and boast in their own accomplishments.  We are hardest on those who remind us of what we most detest about ourselves.

I am so thankful that we have a Savior who redefines us... re-establishes us… and rescues us from ourselves.  The more we think about ourselves the less we are thinking about Jesus.  When our own issues and concerns are in our scope there is no room for the issues and concerns of God.  We must deny ourselves and position our lives in the character of Christ.  Colossians 3:3 states ‘For you died to this life, and your real life is hidden with Christ in God.’

It is so easy to position ourselves with the earth’s trinity – me, myself and I.  As we all introduce ourselves to those we meet daily may we follow the lead of James and position ourselves as we relate to Heaven’s Trinity

No comments: