Thursday, January 30, 2014

Doorframes of Fear

The Lord told him, ‘Go to the house…and ask for a man from Tarsus named Saul.’ ‘Lord,’ Ananias answered, ‘I have heard many reports about this man and all the harm he has done to your saints…And he has come here with authority from the chief priests to arrest all who call on your name.’ Acts 9:11-14.

Last year one of my children went through a very difficult time with a person in her life.  She was being constantly attacked, both verbally and emotionally.  She endured daily threats of her safety and fearful confrontations.  Like many of you who might face this situation, this mama bear wanted to take matters into my own hands.  I would go to God in prayer and tell Him all of the reasons I should take certain actions.  To make matters worse I had to face this person on a regular basis and did not want to extend a Christian hand.  This passage always makes we smile because it reminds me of my conversation with God during this time.  Lord, this person has done this against my daughter.  Father, he doesn’t deserve my kindness and prayers.  I would find myself in prayer reciting everything this person had done and might do.  Much like my own conversations with God, Ananias acted like he had information unknown to God.  But even after Ananias reminded God of all things, he was still instructed to go and face his fear and anguish.

It is easy to convince ourselves that God doesn’t have a handle on our life circumstances.  Surely He has forgotten some things when dealing with our situations.  We pray…we explain…we plea…we justify.  But friends, God has not forgotten the details of your life.  He remembers that your child has struggles… He is well aware that you are scared for your life…He has control over your future and your outcomes.  He knows the secret dreams of your heart and has the path to give you something even better.  We all face doors, some we walk through on our own and some through which life shoves us.  Either way, the walk before us has already been marked.  The door stands open to grab the hand of God and walk through the fear.  When the doorframe of fear seems opposing, let your faith do the walking to get on the other side.  God has not forgotten you…in fact…God is right there with you every step of the way.

‘…I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you…Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.’ Joshua 1:5-9.

No comments: