Monday, January 27, 2014

When Jesus Runs Up Ahead

“‘Do not let your hearts be troubled…And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.’ Thomas said to him, ‘Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?’ Jesus answered, ‘I am the way…Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time?'" John 14:1-9.

Jesus must have been exhausted showing His followers the trustworthiness of His heart.  They had walked with Him daily for 3 years, experienced over 100 miracles with Him and were comforted in scary situations by Him.  And yet, Jesus still has to encourage and comfort…remind and restate the obvious.  I do adore Thomas’ question and know that we can relate to his dilemma.  ‘Lord, we don’t know where you are going so how do we know the way?’  I am sure this question resonates with many of us this morning.

Do you find yourselves in an uncertain season right now where you are asking God this same question?  Lord, I don’t know where we are going, so how can I keep on your path if I don’t know which direction to move?  How many times in our lives are we aware that the Lord has run up ahead and is preparing something for us?  We read the devotionals…we wear out our knees…we pray until our head is about to explode.  It seems that our resolution is as far as heaven is from earth.  We too, must be encouraged by God and comforted by His peace.  Just as Jesus reminded Philip, we must be reminded that God has been with us since He formed us.  Why would He give up on us now when He is bringing us into the place He has prepared for us? 

During these uncertain times, if we lose sight of Jesus we can at least focus on earlier times when we have been shown deliverance…mercy…resolution and blessings.  This is a remedy from the mouth of Jesus Himself:  ‘…at least believe on the evidence of the miracles themselves.  I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing.’ John 14:11. 

So this morning I will believe in my uncertain season because He has delivered my daughter from drugs…because He has carried my mother through her devastating journey of grief… because He healed my heart from losing my loved ones…because He has carried my niece without a mother for over 5 years.  Yes, I will believe in the miracles themselves as I wait on God’s purpose in steadfast peace and certainty.  Won’t we all join in this belief today and allow God to do the work on our behalf.

No comments: