Thursday, September 4, 2014

Walking Into Webs


Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.  Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth’ Colossians 3:1-2.

One of the routes I walk in the mornings seems to be a better work out than other places.  It is a neighborhood with steep inclines and provides a great workout for my heart and body.  Along this route there is a stretch of sidewalk lined with trees on each side that meet at the top creating an archway.  I love when I turn that corner and see that view, however my arms shoot up in the air as I walk down that path.  I have learned the hard way that if I do not hold up my arms and out in front I will end up with spider webs in my face.  By lifting my hands the webs don’t stand a chance.  The same is true when we lift our hands in prayer as we walk through this life. 

We can go through life walking into earthly web after earthly web…the lure of money or power… the web of deceit and pride…the sticky mess of bitterness and envy.  With comparisons and measurements around every corner how do we ensure a heart bent on purity, love and contentment with where we are?   We raise our hands in prayer…we lift our eyes to the Lord…we bend our knees to the ground. 

When we see things that trigger jealously and envy we should immediately thank God for the blessings we have.  When we become weary of chasing acceptance and approval we are to remember that God loved us to the level of sacrificing His child.  When we feel prideful we should visualize the perfect and sinless Lamb of God climbing up on a tree for you and for me.  When we have this kind of heart while walking out our paths, our faces will reflect His glory instead of being covered in earthly webs. 

No comments: