Monday, September 22, 2014

What We Have...

Now a man crippled...was being carried to the temple gate…where he was put every day to beg…Then Peter said, ‘Silver or gold I do not have, but what I have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk” Acts 3:6.

We have been there. We are driving on our route only to see up ahead a person with a sign at a stop light. We feel dread in our hearts and most likely the prayer we lift is not for the person, but rather for a green light. Peter was no different as he approached the temple gate in an effort to go pray. To get where he was going he had to walk right past the beggar. Did he pick up his pace as he approached the beggar? Did his mind rush ahead trying to prepare his response to dismiss the man? Not hardly. Peter knew that he couldn’t offer what he didn’t have himself. But on the flipside Peter also knew that what the beggar was asking for was just a Band-Aid for what he really needed…healing. Not only did Peter stop and make contact with the man, but he explained that he lacked what the beggar wanted. However Peter didn’t stop with his explanation. He reached within himself and offered something much better than money ...he offered the healing power through the name of Jesus Christ. Peter exemplified several Christian principles within that one interaction. He recognized that no one should be made to feel invisible. He validated the beggar’s need, although he lacked the necessity to help him in that way. He took the time to recall the things that he did possess that could help this man in need. Finally, he called on the name of Jesus to give the man what he really lacked.

There have been times when I was the beggar…looking for the healing for my daughter’s drug use… begging for forgiveness when my secret spending came to light…holding up my cup to collect acceptance and approval from others. I was asking for things no one but Christ could give me. On other occasions, I have been the person who didn’t have the answers or resolution for someone’s problem. I couldn’t give my daughter what she needed to take away her pain…I couldn’t remove the cancer from my family members…I can’t provide the financial resources to bless others in this season of my life. But what I can do is offer what God has entrusted me with…my testimony…my prayers…my time. I can take the time to stop and really see people in their begging state. As they hold up their cups I can drop compassion, mercy and grace into their cups. Most importantly, I can recognize that while I might not have what they lack, God does.

Every one of us has been given a deposit for which God has entrusted to us. He has given us talents, gifts, money and/or time. We have been given these things not to hoard but to drop into the lives of others. We cannot ignore those in need, for they have been placed at the gates of our path for God to work through us and in us. I once read that true love is love that works for the benefit of another person. We are expected to share what God gives us daily…mercy, grace and forgiveness. We cannot decide who our neighbor is…who we will choose to help…for the Bible has already spoken on that. In Luke 10:36-37 Jesus points out in the story of the good Samaritan that the neighbor was the one who showed mercy toward him. Then Jesus instructed him to go and do the same. We cannot give to others what we do not have, but we can give them our experience…our journey of faith…our time and compassion. If we are going to sing about being the hands and feet of God, we must be willing to be those vessels. God places searching people in our lives, and equips us to give what they lack to a watching and hurting world.

No comments: