Tuesday, April 24, 2018

From Shackles to Crowns

About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the other prisoners were listening. Suddenly there was such a violent earthquake that the foundations of the prison were shaken. At once all the prison doors flew open, and everyone’s chains came loose.” Acts 16:45-26

I love to sing! I don’t just mean sing…I mean sing loudly! I told my daughter the other day that I am confident God has a special crown for Bruce in heaven for having listened to my singing for over 34 years. I sing joyfully, not beautifully but when I worship with my songs during the tough times something beautiful occurs in my heart…in my mind…in my spirit. That something is revival with God...the ultimate Lovely...and it powers my ability to persevere and endure my midnight.

Paul and Silas knew a thing or two about singing and praising God in the darkest times. They were thrown in the deepest and dampest part of the prison shackled with chains. This passage tells us that it was midnight when they began to sing. I’m trying to picture this moment and I have come up with so many questions. Did one of the men awake to the quivering melody of the other one? Which one joined the other in praising God and finding the lovely in their not-so-lovely situation? Were there distant cries from the prisoners that prompted them to sing? Did they pump up the volume in praise when they realized their prison doors had flung open and their chains had come loose? I would give anything to see the smile on God’s face and hear the angels join in praise as they watched from heaven.

These men teach us so much during their incarceration. They teach us that God hears every word of our prayers, and every note we sing in praise. They teach us that when we share our testimonies through word, action or song we bring hope to others who are chained to their circumstances. They teach us that to know God is to love God, and true worship isn’t based on our situation but our God. They display the ultimate ‘finding lovely in God’ despite their midnight hour.

Is this season of life your midnight? Are you chained to a life event that keeps you imprisoned from fully experiencing the lovely things that our Father desires to give? Are you singing while you are waiting for daylight? “Troubles don’t always leave, but their power fades. Because the beauty is too much for it. Looking at Jesus is the remedy for the power of suffering. Looking at Jesus, worshiping Him, puts your eyes on His ability instead of on the cell around you or the chains on your feet. And sometimes, when you’re persevering through the suffering, letting it build your character and bring hope, worship is also the key that unlocks your cell door.” Looking for Lovely, Annie Downs, p. 68.

So, look for lovely in all the right places as you walk on this earth, because one day foundations will crumble, the doors on earth will fling open, and we will exchange our shackles for crowns.




No comments: