Friday, April 6, 2018

From Song to Story

One of his disciples, whom Jesus loved, was reclining at the table at Jesus’ side.” John 13:23

Last Sunday we visited the church that we attend whenever we are in Charleston. The pastor of this church is very funny, and we always look forward to attending. One of the things he pointed out on Easter is that this verse about Jesus loving this disciple was written by none other than the disciple. Pastor Surratt stated that John wrote 6 different times in his book the statement ‘whom Jesus loved’ referring to himself. After the initial discovery I kept thinking about John who felt it was important to point out throughout his writings that Jesus loved him. It is believed he wrote the Book of John most likely in his late 50's to early 60's after so much time had passed. We must remember John was most likely in his 20’s when he followed Jesus. Scholars agree that young John was a bit arrogant and a hot head a times. But serving Jesus changed his life and his heart. ‘Those characteristics of Jesus which John most appreciated were the Master's love and unselfishness. These traits made such an impression on him that his whole subsequent life became dominated by the sentiment of love and brotherly devotion. He talked about love and wrote about love. This ‘son of thunder’ became the ‘apostle of love.’ (Unknown author).

I can only imagine writing a book about my dad today 10 years after he died. One of the overriding things which I would write would be how much he loved me. The expression of love in my writings would be overwhelming for me to remember. The ink would spill from my heart into the words. I would write about the memories we experienced together. I would recall what a loving husband he was to my mother, and a wonderful father to four little girls. I would speak of his integrity in business and his sacrifice in service. I would spend a ton of ink on how he worked to bring small children who didn’t attend church to Christ. I might would even get as intimate as John when he spoke of leaning up against Jesus. The emotions would be a roller-coaster of joy, sadness, grief and gratitude all bundled up in my story.

So, what is the story we are writing about our relationship with Jesus? How would the Book of Brenda read, and how would your book read? Would it include how we walk with Him daily, and talk with Him honestly? Would there be pages dedicated to how we accepted our invitation to lean up against Him when we needed to be reminded that we were loved? Would we recall His goodness in our past times? One of the things for which I am grateful is that He knows the depth of love each of us feels for Him. He knows the depth of our intimacy with Him. I know that our stories with Jesus have not yet been completed. I’m certain that there will be times each of need to lean right up against Him. For you it might even be today. Jesus is for each of us the same man who lent His shoulder to young John. May we each write our stories with the truth that ‘Jesus loves us, this we know for the Bible tells us so!’


No comments: