Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Looking for Lovely

Not only so, but we also rejoice in our afflictions…” Romans 5:3

This is the point where I am so thankful for commentaries because without them my highlighter would never touch these words. The word ‘rejoice’ is the same original Greek verb phrase of ‘living with our head up high…having a particular vantage point by having the right base of operation to deal successfully with a matter.’

I remember when I was in a helicopter once flying around Charleston. I was in the back seat and after 15 minutes I noticed my stomach began churning and my head began spinning. I took my eyes off the windows and looked down…the nausea set in. I closed my eyes and the nausea became worse. I was asked if I was okay at which point I felt that if I opened my mouth it wouldn’t be to speak. I’m sure in the pilot’s mirror I was as green as I felt. He advised me to open my eyes and find a focal point straight ahead as he flew forward. I lifted my head, chose a steeple in the distance and suddenly my stomach began to settle, and my nausea was relieved. As soon as I took my eyes off the steeple my nausea returned. This went on until the flight was over and the helicopter was on the ground. That was when I 'rejoiced' in the spirit of our English definition!

How many times have we been in a season that made us sick to our stomachs…nauseous of what might be up ahead? How can we walk through a set of circumstances without losing our hope? God has provided each of us ‘the right base of operation to deal successfully with a matter.’ Through His word He has given us ‘a particular vantage point’ on which we should focus to ensure triumph over affliction and victory over heartbreak. When we take our eyes off ‘the Steeple’ we become overwhelmed with the path in which we are called to walk. Our hearts turn to discouragement and loneliness as we hang our heads in defeat. If we can just lift our eyes above our circumstances God will show His faithfulness in the beautiful ways of His heart. A sunrise that reminds us it's a new day...a gentle breeze that whispers God is still in control...a gorgeous sunset that tells the heart we've made it through another day. All representing the 'lovelies of God.'

But Paul was pointing out that if we face our seasons with God-given confidence we will be able to hold our heads up high in suffering. We must keep our eyes on the One who will bring us safely to land. There is no greater gift than ‘finding the lovely’ in our affliction…the beauty in our perseverance. ‘If you’re going to finish the brave/challenging/hard thing that God has called you to do, you have to look for the lovely moments. But you also have to decide persevering and finishing are worth it…your belief that persevering matters.’ Finding the Lovely, Annie F Downs, p. 10.

God is not a quick fix but He is a fantastic Finisher! Keep your eyes on the Steeple!

Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.” Hebrews 12:2


No comments: