Thursday, April 19, 2018

Waiting Well


See how the farmer anticipates the precious fruit of the soil as he patiently awaits the fall and spring rains. You too, be patient and strengthen your hearts, because the Lord’s coming is near…” James 5:7

A few weeks ago, my daughter and grandchildren were with us the week of Spring Break.  Kherington, our youngest grandchild brought a little metal bucket filled with packed dirt. She had planted tiny seeds deep in the soil along with her classmates. They were to nurture and care for the little plant over the break and return to school with the container.  During the week several times a day she would run to the small metal bucket in anticipation of seeing growth. She never stood there more than a few seconds just long enough to look for signs of life. Then she would run off and work on a puzzle for a while or do her gymnastic moves. She fully experienced her spring break at the beach but at the same time continued to watch…to wait…to anticipate...to trust the process.

Annie F Downs, the author of Looking for Lovely wrote extensively about the heart of the farmer. She explains how farmers fully live in the season that is happening. However, they continue to plan for the next season and celebrate the past seasons. I began thinking about my own seasons as it relates to my attitudes. I want to be like Kherington who didn’t miss out on the lovely things around her while waiting on the precious plant to pop through the soil. I want to fully experience the season in which I am experiencing, looking around for all the lovely things God is doing in my life. I want to check in on my dreams for only a few seconds with confidence that God is working and willing His perfect plan. I want to have a strengthened heart, celebrating the past seasons, both good and bad recalling how faithful and present God was. I want to water my unfulfilled dreams with prayers and anticipate the precious fruit that will one day be mature.

So, when the tough times come, we need to remind our hearts to never give up, to keep going, to press on and press in to the One who makes all things grow. I love the prayer Annie offers regarding having a waiting heart.

‘I’ve asked God for a heart that appreciates all the seasons when I can find gratefulness in both the struggle and in the reward. I’ve prayed for a heart that waits well, works hard, and perseveres, happily walking through the door God opens for me.’ Looking for Lovely, p. 49




No comments: