Friday, May 25, 2018

Party of Two

And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did to one of the least of these My brethren, you did to Me.’” Matthew 25:39-40

If you know me well, you know that public speaking for me is right up there with the flu. There is just something about being in front of people with a minuscule amount of confidence. Couple that with the topic being seasons of my life that have been my toughest journeys, and my greatest failures. A few years ago, I was approached by a friend at my church asking if I would speak which I complied. Part of my story was my secret spending which always brings back feelings of shame and regret. I remember my friend telling me that there were 120 women who had signed up and my heart began to fear. They prayed over me before the I spoke, and as I sat there awaiting my turn I began to pray. I recall my question to God during this prayer, ‘What on earth do I have to say that could bless these women?’ And God spoke these liberating words into my heart. ‘You don’t have to bless all of these women. You only have to bless one to bless Me.’

I took those powerful words up on stage with me and managed not to embarrass myself or fall off the stage. I was so relieved when I finished, and at the end a woman with teary eyes asked to speak with me. She informed me that the night before she had revealed to her husband her secret spending and the debt that was owed. She was relieved that my story had a beautiful ending of reconciliation, accountability ideas and victory through God over the stronghold. I felt God give me a wink and a nod through her eyes.

You never know what one kindness shown to another will bring about. We can’t imagine how much impact we can have when sharing our weakness with another person. We think we must do big things for God and grand shows of faith, when really all He wants is to share the little things with those He places along our path. ‘Doing something great for God is to embrace the power of one. The beauty that stems from one-on-one relationships never gets old. When our culture screams bigger, better, smarter, stronger, faster, more famous, it’s really difficult to see smaller as significant and slower as sanctified, to invite invisibility as a framework for His availability. Small offerings given with great love matter…Just open the door.’ Just Open the Door, Jen Schmidt, p. 73

Send the card, invite the girl, make the speech...open the door.


No comments: