Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Surrounded by Angels

So he answered, ‘Do not fear, for those who are with us are more than those who are with them…’ And the LORD opened the servant's eyes and he saw; and behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire all around...’ 2 Kings 16-17.

This is one of the most encouraging stories from the Bible, one I hope you will take the time to read. There was a man who awoke to discover their army had been surrounded through the night with a greater army. He went to the prophet Elisha who called upon the Lord to open the man’s eyes. God allowed this servant to see the unseen armies of God who outnumbered the enemy. It was a gift of sight and a promise of victory building the young servant’s faith.

A few years ago, I was volunteering at the Hospice House. My responsibilities included visiting with the patients at their bedside and talking about whatever was on their mind. It was a season when I was emotionally struggling and had stepped out in faith and was terrified. It had been a particularly gut-wrenching couple of days, and I feared I would be distracted while visiting these precious people. However, I pushed through my emotions and I will never forget that day. It was a day when heaven invaded my earth, and God opened the eyes of one of His messengers to encourage and comfort me. As I was speaking to this woman about her fears of her financial status, she suddenly pulled me close. Her face took on a different color as if suddenly flushed by the warmth of a fire. She told me that I must stay strong…I must not be afraid…that God was going to act. She said that ‘they’ were all around me. I was stunned and speechless and asked her to repeat herself. She repeated the same message and then laid back to nap. I will always think about the time that the Lord knew I needed something supernatural and personal to me to sustain me.

We all face times when we seem to be surrounded by dire circumstances. We awake to discover that everything seems stacked against us and fear overtakes us. If we could only see things from God’s viewpoint we would always walk in courage. But we live below the unseen spiritual world, having to rely on God for wisdom, guidance and a child-like faith. God will open our eyes to reveal the things we need to know before we need to move forward. He will send those precious people to walk with us through the tough times, and He surrounds us with His armies to protect us. He has sent His Spirit into our hearts to guide and comfort us. We really do have everything we need to walk out the life that God has chosen for us. We must spend time with Him, meditate on what He says in His word and ask Him for sight to see His presence.

Whatever situation you are facing today, you are not alone. In the words of this beautiful woman who now resides in Heaven ‘Stay strong, don’t be afraid and know that they are all around you.' They surround you and will always outnumber your troubles.

The chariots of God are twenty thousand, even thousands of angels: The Lord is among them.” Psalm 68:17


No comments: