Monday, February 18, 2019

Shaking Things Up

"You do not even know what will happen tomorrow! What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, 'If the Lord is willing, we will live and do this or that.'" James 4:15

When I was a little girl, one of my favorite toys was Etch a Sketch. I would sit there for what seemed like forever creating and designing a picture of whatever was in my head. Sometimes it would turn out pretty good while other times the image was unrecognizable. No problem – I would shake it up and down and just like that…the design would disappear right before my eyes. I loved the blank slate because the possibilities were endless…a new picture…a new surface for designing.

Eight years ago, this month Bruce and I began searching for a place at Folly Beach. We weren’t completely convinced on buying something because Bruce had retirement in his sights. But after months of prayer we felt that God was with us in this endeavor. Everything went great in the process and the doors blew open without any problems. Over the past 7+ years we have thoroughly enjoyed our time here along with sharing it with friends and family. But all seasons must come to a close and it is time to hand this one back to God with deep gratitude and peace. On Thursday, the realtor’s office sent a woman who ‘staged’ our place instructing us what to get rid of and what to keep. Supposedly it will help potential buyers picture their own things in our home. Secondly, the carpet steamers came to get some tough stains out and the afternoon ended with a cleaning crew. Pictures were taken down and all personal items were removed. I suddenly became so emotional as I scanned the kitchen and living area. Someone picked up my Etch a Sketch and shook it until my design was completely erased. As the cleaning crew wiped away any dirt or dust, in my mind my life here was being erased. I told Bruce that by the end of the day my touch had disappeared from this place.

But this morning I am reminded that God is the one who lovingly shook up my Etch a Sketch. He has a new surface on which to create. His loving touch will create and design a new picture...one I can trust...I've seen the beautiful things He has created. With the beautiful life He helped us design at Folly, He will help us create a new beginning. We will be completely committed back in Charlotte which excites me since most of those whom I adore live in the general vicinity. The devil would try to convince me that seasons are going to last forever, the bad and the good which is erroneous. The devil has tried to convince me that we are losers in this transaction. But I know that God has defeated Satan so all he has left are lies. I will gladly hand over the Etch a Sketch of my life and excitedly watch the Creator draw a new picture with new blessings.

Whatever your picture looks like this morning, God has an even better one up ahead. His blessings are cumulative and progressive as one builds upon another. Try not to see your picture as complete for God will continue to connect those beautiful lines that form your life.

No comments: