Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Rebuilding the Temple


“Why aren’t you repairing the damage done to the temple?” 2 Kings 12:7

At first glance this question isn’t that extraordinary but the one who spoke it was.  This was King Jehoash who had reigned since he was crowned king at the tender age of 7.  He had grown up in the temple and had seen the condition of its existence.  It was in disrepair, neglect and crumbling around its foundation.  But what was a 7-year-old king to do with a job so big?  He was but a child with a heart for the devoted things of God.  Years into his reign he formulated a plan of how to repair and rebuild the temple.  He handed it over to the priests to accomplish his goal.  But 23 years later, King Jehoash discovered that the project had not even started!  No doubt the young king was disillusioned and discouraged that a group of people had not repaired the temple.  He embraced the project and came up with a plan from which there would be no deviation. 

 As I was reading this story today, I was struck with images of being a 7-year-old running around the church halls of my Granddaddy Miller’s assigned church.  He was pastor of that church and I can still remember some of the rooms.  I can’t imagine revisiting that church and seeing it in disarray and disrepair.  It would sadden me and leave me wondering how a group of people could allow the neglect and care for the condition of the church…the temple of God.  But then my heart turns to a Bible verse and reminds me of a time when I wasn’t paying attention to the temple in my own life…my heart.  “Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God?” 1 Co 6:19-20.  There were times when I allowed the walls of my heart to be eroded with bitterness.  There were times when the windows of my soul remained broken from past adversities.  We harbor so much in our hearts against life experiences and other people’s choices that affect us.  We don’t pay attention to the condition of our heart but then discover the chaos and lack of peace that resides there. 

So, as we ask ourselves, ‘Why aren’t we repairing the damage done,’ we can take comfort and hope in the same response King Jehoash took.  We can acknowledge that our temple needs attention.  We can put in place a blueprint for rebuilding and restoring our heart.  We can fix our mind and heart on Jesus allowing Him access to the temple again.  Together, there is no wall that cannot be rebuilt with the Lord, and no heart that cannot be restored through His plan.  No one but God can rebuild the temple for us.


No comments: