Monday, January 13, 2020

Surely He Will

Thus says the LORD: ‘Do not be afraid of the words which you have heard…Surely I will…’” 2 Kings 19:6-7.

Words are very powerful when it comes to dealing with people and their circumstances. Words have power when they are released…they even have power when they are withheld. They can build a person up or tear a person down. They have ended relationships and started relationships. Some of the most destructive words spoken are those we speak to ourselves. God understands the power that words can have over our lives. Since the creation, He has been urging humanity to stay strong against words that frighten us no matter what threat it brings. God has given the final words on our fear: ‘Surely I will.’

I can remember the words when Bruce first told me he loved me. I can remember the words when the doctor told me to meet my first-born child. I can remember the words when my daughter said she was leaving home. I can remember the exact words when the doctor told us the test results regarding my family members. I can remember the last words spoken by my dad as he closed his eyes to this world. But in every instance, I can faithfully say that God came through for me with His ‘Surely I will’ response. He has sustained my marriage through tough times and good times. He has protected my children when they made dangerous decisions. He has carried my family through illnesses delivering them into the perfection of Heaven. He has surely comforted me in my grief and sadness during those times. Whatever fear is brought on by the words surrounding you this morning, take heart in knowing that ‘Surely He will…’

For the person who got the word ‘terminal’ on the other end of the phone, surely only God knows what the future holds and He has a plan. For the person who got the word ‘death’ spoken in their lives, surely God will comfort every heartache and hold your loved one tightly until you are reunited. For the person who received the word ‘unemployment’, surely God will provide for you every step of the way. In all these instances God already has the solution before we ever experience the problem. We do not have to be afraid of whatever words are spoken in our lives when we remember God’s words over everything. ‘Do not fear’ is most certainly one of the most repeated commands in the Bible. God fully understands how powerful fear can be. It can take hold of fickle faith and strangle the life out of it. It can convince hearts that God isn’t loving enough…capable enough…powerfully enough to give us the means to the get through the heartache. We must believe in God’s promise of ‘Surely I will’ more than believing what fear says. He is our Deliverer…our Refuge…our Shield against all fear and our faith will bring in His blessings of comfort and peace. God always rewards faithfulness by giving us the abundance of His comfort, wisdom, patience and healing.

‘Do not be afraid…I am your shield, your exceedingly great reward.’ Genesis 15:1

No comments: