Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Life in the Vault

Thus God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament; and it was so. And God called the firmament Heaven.” Genesis 1:7-8
I remember at some point through the night the story of creation entered my mind. I didn’t really think about it other than a fleeting thought. So, when I arose for the day, I decided to read the story of God creating the world. I was prepared to read the entire chapter which is full of imagery and a timeline for all things made ‘good’ by God’s command. However, I didn’t even make it past verse 6 before I read the word ‘firmament.’ I have seen this word before but always skimmed over it understanding it meant expanse or sky. This morning it beckoned me to rest on its meaning and linger for a while. I was blessed by where it led me and it made God even bigger in my mind than previously pictured. ‘The definition of the firmament can be summarized as the arch or vault over the earth and sky that separates the earthly realm from what is beyond…the firmament seen as the sky from earth, is essentially a fixed upside-down container over the Earth, colored blue from the heavenly waters above it. The water for rain, snow, hail, etc. is stored outside the expanse, which has ‘windows’ to release them onto the earth.’ Christianity.com What is the Firmament? Definition and Meaning in the Bible. I discovered an image that depicts this part of creation. It is easy to compartmentalize God in different areas of our lives. But this image shows that the heavenly chambers from where God reigns is outside of the vault. 
Vaults are made to store precious treasures and require a specific combination for entry. Vaults are meant to protect its valuables from theft, fire and flood. Nothing can enter the vault without the permission of the who one knows the combination. Even the rains, snow and hail press their noses against the window looking for entry. They cannot enter the sky with the Lord opening the windows releasing it to earth. Nothing on earth happens in random starts and stops when it comes to God’s plan for you and for me. The combination to the vault in which we reside is only opened by the authority and the will of the Lord. I’ll never see a rainbow in the same way like I always have. No wonder the beautiful rainbow is arched across the skies; it cannot escape the vault but dances on its ceiling. I am so thankful that God has all power, all glory and all authority of every living and created thing. Everything is precious in His sight and vault-worthy. No problem is too large and no sin is too great for our God who hems us in as His precious treasures. ‘You hem me in, behind and before, and lay your hand upon me.’ Psalm 139:5


No comments: