Monday, May 25, 2020

More Than Just a Rose

I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow. So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow.” 1 Co 3:6-7. 
I have two rose bushes, one that was given to me when Beth died from my cousin and the other which I planted many years before. The memorial rose bush always blooms first around Beth’s birthday in April. The other bush however has neither grown or bloomed in over a decade. Last fall, Bruce decided to re-direct the water that always puddled in the corner of that natural area. As rain would fall it would settle against the block patio wall near that mostly dead rose bush. At one point I thought I would pull it up and throw it away but I actually forgot about it. Last month I noticed that it began producing green sprouts and a new shoot broke through the dirt. I just knew that plant was dead and couldn’t believe my eyes this morning! I have never had such a beautiful rose on this plant for the 20 years it has been here. I have pretty much ignored it all these years, and yet God brought it back to life. It’s beauty and scent are only matched by its exquisite quality and form. I know that the work Bruce did in re-directing the water was essential in producing the appropriate balance of moisture and soil.
Aren’t we just like that rose bush when it comes to our spiritual life? We ignore the work it takes to produce spiritual roses, a display of beauty and form. Even if we are not tending our branches the Lord is still working to remove those dead areas in our lives replacing them with the balance of hardship and blessings. He knows exactly what will bring forth the beautiful blooms in our lives leaving a fragrant aroma in actions and attitude. Whenever we are facing challenges don’t lose sight of the work God is doing and never deem anything dead. With God, all things can be brought to life and most times the beauty will be greater than what bloomed before.
Our lives are a Christ-like fragrance rising up to God.” 2 Co 2:15



No comments: