Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Waiting Well

There we were, binding sheaves in the field. Then behold, my sheaf arose…and indeed your sheaves stood all around and bowed down to my sheaf.” Ge 37:7
I am one of four daughters and as many of you are well aware, siblinghood can get messy with jealousy, resentment and disharmony. It happened many times but thankfully we had parents who were awesome referees. Our story this morning, is very entertaining as we witness the baby of the family (Rachel’s son) bragging about a dream wherein his brothers bowed before him. They already despised him so this dream drove deeper division between them. One day in the field they saw Joseph approaching them and they devised a plan to kill him. Upon further consideration they opted to sell him to a group of Ishmaelites. We must remember that Joseph was completely confident that the dreams he had of reigning over his family were things to come. So, as the money was exchanged and suddenly Joseph went from favored to slave, what were his thoughts? I can imagine he questioned God with confusion. ‘How can I be master over my family when I have just been purchased to be a slave? Did I hear you incorrectly Lord? How can your plans and promises for me be fulfilled when circumstances are tracking in the wrong direction?’
I know that there in things tucked in my heart that God has promised me. Like Joseph there are circumstances that are moving further away from answered prayers. In my new Bible Study, Wait and See author Wendy Pope writes, ‘God won’t waste our wait, and neither should we.’ p. 14. What Joseph didn’t know was although his brothers at that moment had total authority over him, God was going to use the Ishmaelites as a stepping stone towards the fulfillment of the prophesy. God eventually made Joseph second in command in the land as a result of that transaction in the field. God prepared him through the wait for future blessings that prospered him beyond imagination. I’ll bet you also have dreams waiting to become a reality. I’m confident that sometimes circumstances appear to be tracking in the opposite direction. We must believe that the same God who used captivity to bring about freedom is the same God who will use our unanswered prayers to bring about resolution to our concerns. So here we are…with palms up and knees down…waiting…watching…wondering. ‘Waiting well teaches us to trust God’s ways rather than doubt His delays.’ p. 13.

No comments: