Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Writing in the Sand

But what do you say?” John 8:5b
Five words that were drenched in judgment, condemnation and deceit. They were words of the religious leaders, the Pharisees, who attempted to entrap Jesus one Sunday. They brought in a woman caught in the act of adultery and asked Jesus what He would say regarding this adulteress. At that time Jesus bent down and began writing in the sand. Scholars believe that Jesus was writing the Law from Leviticus which clearly stated both adulterer and adulteress should be stoned. I wonder if it was Jesus’s way of communicating with the Pharisees that their motives were clear. If they really cared about the Law and justice, both parties would be thrown in the center of the circle. Jesus stood up and His next words began tearing their intent down like a demolition ball swinging into a structure. ‘He who is without sin among you, let him throw a stone at her first’ John 8:7. Again, Jesus bent down and began writing in the sand. Scholars believe that Jesus was writing the names of her accusers and revealing their sin next to their name. One by one, the men turned and walked away leaving the woman alone with Jesus who fully forgave her.
There have been seasons in my life when I deserved to be thrown in the middle of the circle for Jesus to judge. There have been times in my life when I have pointed out to Jesus the infractions of others demanding justice. Jesus seems to always write in the sand of my heart the conviction I need for judging others when I have my own sins. When I repent and need forgiveness, He always points to His palms to remind me that through His sacrifice I am cleansed and fully forgiven. I’m so thankful for these stories from the Bible that continues to both convict and challenge…cleanse and reconcile. The final words of Jesus spoken to the adulteress are the final words regarding any sin from which we have repented, ‘Neither do I condemn you; go and sin no more.’ John 8:11.


No comments: